Formerly known as Museum Park, Maurice A. Ferré Park is a public park located in downtown Miami. The 21-acre park is an excellent combination of calmness and activity, which makes it a great neighborhood park for residents and a remarkable sight for tourists.
The park opened in 1976 and was originally called “Bicentennial Park” to celebrate the 200th anniversary of the United States. Later, it was renamed “Bayfront Park” and became a hub for a wide variety of cultural events, festivals, and concerts.
A major renovation took place in 2010, after which the park was renamed “Museum Park.” During this renovation, a new art museum, the Pérez Art Museum Miami, and a new science museum, the Patricia and Phillip Frost Museum of Science, were constructed.
On January 31, 2019, the park was again renamed “Maurice A. Ferré Park” to honor the former mayor of Miami, who was actively involved in the development of the park and its surroundings. Today, Maurice A. Ferré Park has become a must-visit location for locals and tourists, hosting several events throughout the year, including the annual Miami Art Week.
Amenities Available at Maurice A. Ferré Park
Maurice A. Ferré Park offers visitors a wide range of amenities to enjoy. Whether you are looking to explore art, science, or the outdoors, the park has something for everyone. Let’s briefly take a look at the amenities that you can enjoy at the park.
- Pérez Art Museum Miami (PAMM): This world-class museum is one of the most incredible features of this park. Housed in an impressive waterfront building with breathtaking architecture and offering sprawling views of Biscayne Bay, Pérez Art Museum Miami is a must-visit location for art lovers. This modern and contemporary art museum features a collection of more than 2,000 works of art, which include paintings, sculptures, and installations.
- Patricia and Phillip Frost Museum of Science: The science museum offers visitors interactive exhibits on several topics, including the human body, environment, space, and technology. The Frost Museum of Science also features a planetarium and an aquarium, which contain a variety of marine life from South Florida and even beyond.
- Amphitheater: There is an outdoor amphitheater that is located within the park and hosts several concerts and events throughout the year. The amphitheater has hosted major events like the Ultra Music Festival as well as performances from various artists. It is situated on the waterfront and offers amazing views of the bay and the Miami skyline.
- Playground areas: Within the park are two playgrounds, each with several pieces of play equipment for kids of all ages, such as slides, swings, and climbing structures. The playgrounds are free and offer kids a safe and fun environment to play in.
- Walking Paths: There are several walking paths in the park for visitors to enjoy brisk walks or leisurely strolls. Maurice A. Ferré Park also has one of the longest waterfront baywalks in Miami. This baywalk is around 1.5 miles along Biscayne Bay, which makes it popular among cyclists, joggers, and walkers. The baywalk is a great way to exercise, relax, see the stunning scenery, and enjoy the fresh sea air.
- Dogs and Cats Walkway and Sculpture Gardens: Although it was only officially opened on February 11, 2023, the Dogs and Cats Walkway and Sculpture Gardens have already had thousands of visitors from around the world. It is a great destination for pet owners to take their furry companions for a walk so they can get some exercise and meet other dogs and cats. The walkway is on the west side of the park and features 52 huge sculptures of 26 dogs and 26 cats, which are painted by local artists.
- Feeding and Picnic Areas: There are a large variety of picnic areas scattered throughout the park so that visitors can bring their own food and enjoy a picnic in the stunning natural setting. Visitors can also grab a bite to eat from any of the local vendors at the food truck area, which offers a range of cuisines. There is a restaurant, Verde, which is situated in the PAMM museum and offers different Mediterranean-inspired dishes, indoor and outdoor seating, as well as sprawling views of Biscayne Bay.
Why You Should Visit Maurice A. Ferré Park
Maurice A. Ferré Park is a choice destination for anyone traveling to Miami. There are a wide variety of activities and attractions for all visitors, no matter their ages or interests. Some of the reasons why you should definitely visit the park include:
- Learn Miami’s history: Located in downtown Miami, the park is surrounded by landmarks and historic buildings, which offer a glimpse into the rich culture and history of the city. You can also check out the Freedom Tower, which is now a museum dedicated to the history of how Cubans immigrated to the United States.
- Enjoy stunning views of Biscayne Bay: The park is situated on the waterfront and offers beautiful views of the bay. You can relax in the green spaces, stroll along the walking paths, or just sit and enjoy the views. It is a great place to enjoy the incredible Miami skyline and watch the sunset.
- Visit world-class museums: Maurice A. Ferré Park is home to two world-leading museums, the Pérez Art Museum Miami and the Patricia and Phillip Frost Museum of Science. The two of them offer a wide variety of exhibits for all visitors, regardless of their ages. This makes them an excellent destination for families and art and science enthusiasts.
- Attend different events: The park has an outdoor amphitheater and event space that play host to several festivals, concerts, and cultural events throughout the year.
- Plenty of spaces for relaxation: The park features walking paths and playgrounds, which are perfect for relaxation and enjoying the outdoors. The walking paths allow you to enjoy the beautiful views of the bay and the surrounding areas, while the playgrounds are perfect for families with kids.
- Explore the local food scene: There are several food trucks operated by local vendors that offer dishes like burgers, tacos, and sandwiches. There are also food options for vegetarians and vegans.
- Connect with the local community: Several community events are held at the park throughout the year, including cultural festivals, movie screenings, and fitness classes. This makes the park a great place to meet the locals and experience the rich Miami culture.
Hotels near Maurice A. Ferré Park in downtown Miami
If you plan to explore the Maurice A. Ferré Park until dark, you can lodge in one of the following hotels around downtown Miami for $266 to $339.
- InterContinental Miami
- Miami Marriott Biscayne Bay
- YOTEL Miami
- citizenM Miami Worldcenter
- Hilton Miami Downtown
Maurice A. Ferré Park is an amazing destination located in Miami. Offering a breathtaking waterfront location, world-class museums, baywalks, playgrounds, an outdoor amphitheater, an amazing food area, and plenty of events, the park has something for all visitors. It doesn’t matter whether you are a local looking to unwind or a tourist that wants to experience the best of Miami’s culture and outdoor activities, Maurice A. Ferré Park should be on your “must-visit list.”
The park features a wide variety of activities and events that make it perfect for everyone, no matter their age or interests. You can choose to attend a concert or festival at the amphitheater, explore the local food scene, or take a leisurely stroll along the walking paths.
There is plenty of beautiful scenery to take photos of, but when it comes to Maurice A. Ferré Park photos, it is important to respect other park-goers and avoid taking photos of others without their consent. Also, ensure you are mindful of other visitors and do not block pathways or views during photo sessions.
Why haven’t you planned your visit to Maurice A. Ferré Park today? It is perfect for having a fun day out with the family, enjoying a romantic evening watching the sunset, or connecting with the local community. Come and experience the best Miami has to offer when it comes to art, culture, and outdoor activities.