Are you looking for a fun and exciting way to experience the great outdoors in Miami? Look no further than A.D. Barnes Park! This hidden gem is a must-visit destination for those who want to escape the hustle and bustle of the city and immerse themselves in nature.
But what makes A.D. Barnes Park truly special is its commitment to serving people with disabilities. The park is named after Arthur D. Barnes, the first director of the Parks and Recreation Department, who believed that recreation was very important to all citizens in Miami-Dade County. Since the park opened in 1977, several amenities and activities have been integrated to provide accessible and inclusive recreational opportunities for all.
A.D. Barnes Park Miami covers 65 acres and offers a variety of recreational activities for all ages and abilities. If you are looking for a place to get active, relax, or learn about nature, A.D. Barnes Park has something for everyone.
One feature to take advantage of at the park is the swimming pool. This large pool is open all year and is perfect for cooling off on hot Miami days. The pool is also used to teach swim lessons and aquatic programs for all ages.
If you’re looking for a more active way to spend your day at the park, then you can head over to the several fitness zones, basketball courts, and other sports fields. The park also has a playground where kids of all ages can have fun.
For those who go to parks for the peace and quiet, there are several picnic shelters and tables available to be rented. So, pack a lunch and enjoy a meal with your family and friends outdoors. The park has several trails that wind through the lush forested area, offering you the opportunity to observe wildlife such as birds, butterflies, and sometimes alligators.
Activities and Amenities available at A.D. Barnes Park
Discover the wide range of activities and amenities available at A.D. Barnes Park Miami designed to be inclusive and accessible for all visitors, no matter their ages and abilities. From hiking and picnicking to swimming and birdwatching, the park has something for everyone to enjoy. Explore the following features when you visit:
- Take a dip in the swimming pool: A.D. Barnes Park’s large swimming pool is perfect for you to cool off on a hot day in Miami. The pool is open throughout the year and is a great place to learn how to swim since there are swim lessons for all ages. The park’s swimming pool is fully accessible for people with disabilities, as it is fitted with a ramp and a hydraulic lift.
- Enjoy a picnic: If you are looking for a peaceful place to grab a bite with your family and friends, the park has picnic shelters and tables for rent. There are grills at the shelters for you to make your favorite meals. You can also get snacks and drinks at any of the several vending machines or the concession stand.
- Get active: There are several fitness zones, basketball courts, and sports fields for you to keep fit and get your heart pumping again. At the fitness zones, you get access to outdoor exercise equipment like weight machines, stationary bikes, and ellipticals. Play fun or competitive basketball and soccer matches at the courts and fields at the park.
- Go fishing: A.D. Barnes Park has a fishing lake for you to cast a line and try to catch some fish. The lake is stocked with different fish like tilapia, bass, and catfish. You can choose to fish from the shore or from a boat, but you have to come with your own equipment.
- Learn about nature: There is a nature center at the park where you can get guided tours, eco-adventure tours, and nature-based camps. Experienced naturalists are in charge of the eco-adventure tours and take visitors on a journey through the diverse ecosystems at the park. You can organize guided tours as a group or an organization, and you can customize the schedule to suit your preferences. The nature-based camps are designed for kids and help them learn about nature in a fun manner.
At A.D. Barnes Park, the top priorities are accessibility and inclusivity. There are several features that make the park a suitable destination for visitors of all abilities, including fully accessible cabins and accessible bathrooms. There are also several programs and events designed specifically for people with disabilities, such as adaptive sports and recreation programs. So, whether you are looking for a relaxing day in nature or an action-packed adventure, A.D. Barnes Park Miami is perfect for everyone.
Family-Friendly Programs at A.D. Barnes Park
A.D. Barnes Park offers a wide variety of family-friendly programs that make the park a must-visit destination for your next family trip. Whether you are looking to explore nature, learn a new skill, or just relax and have fun, the park has something that you will enjoy as a family. Check out the following programs:
- Learn-to-Swim: There are several swim lessons and other aquatic programs available at the park for all ages. The Learn-to-Swim program is designed for both children and adults to learn how to swim and remain safe in and around water, so you take the program together as a family. The program is taught by qualified instructors using the American Red Cross curriculum. It is a great way for your family to learn a new skill and stay safe while still enjoying the park’s swimming pool and other aquatic features.
- The Leisure Access Camp: A.D. Barnes Park’s Leisure Access Camp is fully accessible and available for groups and organizations. The camp has two cabins, which are located in the heart of the pine rockland forest. The cabins are well furnished with air conditioning, heating, and accessible bathrooms. There is also a lodge and dining hall with a full kitchen area that can be reserved for special functions and meetings. The Leisure Access Camp is designed to be inclusive and accommodating to people of all ages and abilities, so it is a great option for families looking for a memorable and unforgettable camping experience.
- Hiking the Pine Rockland: A.D. Barnes Park features plenty of trails that wind through the pine rockland forest so that you can observe the wildlife. The trails are well-maintained and easy to navigate, so they are a great option for families with kids. The park also offers guided nature walks and eco-adventure tours led by experienced naturalists so that families have a fun and educational way to explore the park’s diverse ecosystem.
A.D. Barnes Photos
These are some of the photos that were taken at A.D. Barnes:
Are you ready for an adventure that’s fun for the whole family? Look no further than A.D. Barnes Park! This unique and inclusive destination offers a wide range of activities and amenities that will leave you feeling refreshed and inspired.
Get up close and personal with nature, take a dip in the swimming pool, or learn a new skill with the park’s adaptive sports and recreation programs. And don’t forget to explore the park’s winding trails that wind through the pine rockland forest, offering visitors the chance to observe a variety of wildlife.
But what really sets A.D. Barnes Park apart is its commitment to accessibility and inclusivity. The park’s fully accessible cabins, air conditioning, heating, and accessible bathrooms, as well as its adaptive sports and recreation programs, make it a welcoming destination for people of all ages and abilities.
So what are you waiting for? Grab your family and friends and head to A.D. Barnes Park for a day of fun and adventure. Whether you’re a local or a visitor to Miami, this park is a must-see destination that will leave you feeling energized and inspired.