Miami is a city that is famous for its lively atmosphere, bustling beaches, and vibrant nightlife. But what if you are looking for a more peaceful and quiet experience? There is no better destination than Pelican Harbor Marina, a hidden gem located along the 79th Street Causeway between the mainland and North Bay Island.
What makes Pelican Harbor Marina different from the other marinas in Miami is the peaceful atmosphere and incredible views of Biscayne Bay on offer. At this marina, you can escape the crowds and enjoy a relaxing day on the water, whether you choose to cruise the Intracoastal Waterway or go out into the open ocean.
However, Pelican Harbor Marina is more than just a departure point for your boating adventures. It is also a gateway to Pelican Island, a 10-acre bird sanctuary and nature preserve that is only a few hundred yards away. You can get to Pelican Island by boat, kayak, or standup paddleboard.
If you are looking to truly relax, you can swim in the bay, play beach volleyball on the sandy court on the island, or simply enjoy a picnic with the island’s barbecue grills and covered picnic shelters.
But that’s not all. Pelican Harbor Marina offers a range of amenities and services to ensure that your boating experience is comfortable and convenient. From boating ramps and fuel pumps to fishing piers and marinas, you will find everything you need to make the most of your time on the water. But if you prefer to stay on solid ground, there is a food truck festival every Wednesday from 5 to 10 p.m., which gives you the opportunity to experience the old salt atmosphere without ever leaving shore.
Boating Adventure at the Pelican Harbor Marina
Whether you are an experienced boater or a first-time kayaker, there are plenty of opportunities for you to explore the waterways and enjoy the stunning views of Miami’s skyline. But it is not just the views that make Pelican Harbor Marina a must-visit destination for boating.
The bay is home to a wide range of marine life, including dolphins, which are usually seen swimming alongside boats. So, remember to keep your eyes open and your camera ready in case you get to see these beautiful creatures up close.
If you end up feeling hot and sticky after a day on the water, you can finish up by taking a refreshing swim in the bay. The crystal-clear waters are perfect for a dip, and you will feel refreshed and rejuvenated in no time.
As mentioned earlier, Pelican Island is 10 acres of bird sanctuary and nature preserve that is only a stone’s throw away from Pelican Harbor Marina. It is accessible to visitors by boat, kayak, or standup paddleboard, which makes it the perfect destination for your day trip.
Pelican Island is a paradise for nature lovers, where you get to sight a variety of bird species like cormorants, herons, and pelicans. You can also find different marine creatures, like dolphins and sea turtles.
The island has lush vegetation and crystal-clear waters, which make it a haven for wildlife. In addition to its natural beauty, Pelican Island has a range of recreational activities that you can enjoy. There is a sandy court where you can play beach volleyball, as well as onsite barbecue grills for picnics, or you can just relax and soak up the sun.
If you want an adventure, rent a kayak or standup paddleboard and explore the island’s waterways. This will give you plenty of opportunities to enjoy the stunning views of Miami’s skylines and the natural beauty of the area.
Activities and Amenities Available at Pelican Harbor Marina
At Pelican Harbor Marina, there are several activities and amenities that can make your experience memorable. Some of the activities to try out at the marina include:
- Fishing: Pelican Harbor Marina is a popular destination for locals and tourists who are looking for a peaceful spot to fish. There are a variety of fish species in the surrounding waters, and you can choose to fish from your boat, the fishing pier, or from shore.
- Sailing: For a more leisurely boating experience, you should definitely try sailing. The marina offers sailboat rentals and lessons for everyone. So, you can take a relaxing sail around the bay or even go out into the open ocean, depending on your preference.
- Volleyball: Bring your family and friends out for some fun in the sun at Pelican Island. There is a sand volleyball court on the island, but you have to bring your own net and ball. The court is open to all visitors on a first-come, first-served basis.
In addition to these activities, Pelican Harbor Marina also offers different amenities to ensure a great time there. The amenities include:
- Reservation accepted: The marina allows visitors to make reservations for boat slips, the sailboat mooring field, and the picnic shelter/pavilion.
- Boat ramps: The marina has several boat ramps that provide easy access to the water. The ramps are available to every visitor and can accommodate boats of up to 50 feet in length.
- Fishing pier: If you prefer fishing from the shore, the marina has a fishing pier that you can make use of. The marina has a designated fish cleaning area to clean the fish they catch.
- Fuel pumps: There are fuel pumps for boats, which make it easy for you to refuel before or after you have enjoyed your boating adventures. The marina offers non-ethanol gas and diesel fuel, and the pumps are open 24/7.
- Marinas: The marina features several marinas with wet slips for boats of all sizes. You can rent a wet slip on a monthly or yearly basis and get access to all of the other amenities available at the marina.
- Picnic shelter/pavilion: If you are looking for a place to have a picnic, check out the picnic shelter/pavilion at the marina available for rent. The picnic shelter is located on Pelican Island and can accommodate up to 50 people. It comes equipped with picnic tables and barbecue grills.
- Restrooms and Showers: The marina has clean and well-maintained restrooms and showers to ensure the convenience of visitors.
Pelican Harbor Seabird Station
Pelican Harbor Seabird Station is a non-profit organization located within Pelican Harbor Marina. The station was founded in 1980 by a group of concerned citizens who wanted to help injured and orphaned seabirds in the Miami area. Since then, the station has grown to become one of the largest wildlife rehabilitation centers in the state of Florida.
The purpose of Pelican Harbor Seabird Station is to rescue, rehabilitate, and release injured and orphaned native birds, mammals, and reptiles. The station accepts all native species, including pelicans, herons, egrets, sea turtles, and manatees. The staff and volunteers at the station work tirelessly to provide medical care, food, and shelter to these animals until they are ready to be released back into the wild.
Pelican Harbor Seabird Station has 24/7 drop-off availability, which means that injured or orphaned animals can be brought to the station at any time, day or night. The station also has partnerships with federal, state, and local enforcement officials to ensure that every injured animal is properly cared for and released back into the wild.
The station plays a vital role in the conservation and protection of native wildlife in the Miami area.
Pelican Harbor Marina Photos
Pelican Harbor Marina is truly a boater’s paradise, offering a wide range of activities and amenities to ensure your day on the water is truly unforgettable. Whether you are an experienced sailor or a first-time fisherman, you will find everything you need to have a fun and exciting boating experience.
From the beautiful views of the bay to the sandy beach volleyball court, Pelican Harbor Marina has something for everyone. And if you’re looking for a little adventure, why not take a sailboat out into the open ocean or try your luck at catching some of the many fish species in the surrounding waters?
But Pelican Harbor Marina isn’t just about fun and games. The marina is also home to Pelican Harbor Seabird Station, a non-profit organization dedicated to rescuing and rehabilitating injured and orphaned native birds, mammals, and reptiles. By visiting the marina, you’re not only supporting local businesses but also contributing to the conservation and protection of native wildlife in the Miami area.
In conclusion, Pelican Harbor Marina is the perfect destination for boaters and nature enthusiasts alike. With its stunning views, exciting activities, and commitment to wildlife conservation, the marina offers a unique and unforgettable experience. So why not plan your next boating adventure at Pelican Harbor Marina? You’ll have a blast while also supporting a great cause. We can’t wait to see you out on the water!