Dadeland is a bustling neighborhood located in Miami-Dade County. Known for its vibrant commercial district, Dadeland has become a popular destination for those seeking a mix of shopping, dining, and entertainment. In this blog post, we’ll address the question that’s on everyone’s mind: “Is Dadeland safe?”
Yes, Dadeland is generally considered a safe neighborhood. Apart from its commercial district, there is also a residential area in Dadeland that is made up of a combination of apartments and single-family homes. Most of the homes have gates, which significantly increase safety.
So, come with me as we try to answer the question, “Is Dadeland safe?” From crime statistics to practical tips, we’ll provide you with the information you need to make informed decisions and enjoy a worry-free experience in Dadeland.
History of Dadeland
Dadeland has come a long way from its humble beginnings. In the early 1900s, this area was a rural landscape with only a few residents. But as time went on, Dadeland underwent a remarkable transformation into the vibrant neighborhood it is today.
The turning point for Dadeland came with the construction of the Palmetto Expressway, which opened up new opportunities for growth and development. On October 1, 1962, Dadeland Mall, the first enclosed shopping mall in Miami-Dade County, opened its doors. This 535,000-square-foot (49,700 m2) complex with 60 stores and services became an instant hit, attracting visitors from near and far. The mall is now home to over 150 stores, which include a wide variety of restaurants.
As Dadeland continued to flourish, businesses, hotels, and restaurants flocked to the area, making it more popular among tourists. Today, you’ll find any type of establishment to cater to your taste and preference.
Location of Dadeland and Its Effect on Safety
Dadeland is situated within Miami-Dade County, making it a part of the vibrant Miami metropolitan area. This prime location adds to the neighborhood’s appeal, as it offers a mix of urban convenience and suburban charm. It is found in the unincorporated area of Kendall, just a short 10-mile (16 km) drive southwest of Downtown Miami, which makes it a major commercial and transportation hub. This means you’ll have easy access to other parts of the city, making Dadeland a convenient base for your adventures.
Is Dadeland Safe? Looking at the Numbers
Because there is no specific crime data for Dadeland itself available, we can answer the question, “Is Dadeland safe?” by examining the statistics for Kendall as a whole. It’s important to note that crime rates can vary within different areas of Kendall, including Dadeland. But by looking at the broader picture, we can get a general understanding of the safety situation in the neighborhood.
Crime Rates in Kendall: Personal and Property Crimes
When considering crime rates in Kendall, it’s helpful to look at both personal and property crimes. According to Miami Herald, Kendall has a personal crime rate of 59 on a scale of 100, which means 59 personal crimes per 100,000 residents. The property crime rate stands at 75 on a scale of 100, meaning there are 75 property crimes per 100,000 residents.
The national average personal crime rate is 37.5 per 100,000 residents, while the national average property crime rate is 238.3 per 100,000 residents. This comparison shows that Kendall generally has lower crime rates than the national average, indicating a relatively safer environment.
While these statistics provide a general overview, it’s important to remember that crime rates can vary within different areas of Kendall, including Dadeland. So it’s always a good idea to remain vigilant and take the necessary precautions to ensure personal safety.
Is Dadeland Safe at Night?
Before going any further, let’s clear up any doubts you might have. Dadeland is safe at night, but like any city, it’s important to take precautions and be aware of your surroundings. By following some simple safety tips, you can enjoy your evening in Dadeland with peace of mind.
Safety Tips for Visitors
To ensure a secure experience in Dadeland at night, here are some essential safety tips to keep in mind:
- Be aware of your surroundings: Pay attention to your surroundings and stay alert. Trust your instincts and avoid any situations or individuals that make you feel uncomfortable.
- Stay within well-lit areas: When walking at night, stick to well-lit areas and avoid poorly lit or isolated places. This will help you stay visible and deter potential risks.
- Travel in groups: If possible, travel with a companion or in a group. There is safety in numbers, and having someone by your side can provide an extra layer of security.
- Carry a personal safety device: Consider carrying a personal safety device, such as pepper spray or a personal alarm. These can be effective tools to deter or disable an attacker, if needed. Additionally, carrying a cell phone with you can provide a quick means of communication in case of emergencies.
- Let someone know where you’re headed: It’s always a good idea to inform someone about your plans and expected return time when exploring a new area at night.
Areas to Avoid at Night
While Dadeland is generally safe, there are a few specific areas that are best avoided at night:
- Parking Garage at Dadeland Mall: The parking garage at Dadeland Mall can be a target for car break-ins. It’s advisable to park in well-lit areas and take the necessary precautions to secure your vehicle.
- Area around the Dadeland South Metrorail Station: This area close to the Dadeland South Metrorail Station can be dangerous at night, especially if you are not familiar with it.
By following these safety tips and being mindful of the areas to avoid, you can have a pleasant and secure experience in Dadeland at night.
Hotels near Dadeland, Miami
For as low as $220, you can stay in a safe and highly-rated hotel close to Dadeland in Miami, Florida.
The following hotels and apartments are at most 2.5 km away from Dadeland.
- AC Hotel by Marriott Miami Dadeland
- Miami Marriott Dadeland
- Stylish and Modern Apartments at The Palmer Dadeland
- Dadeland Towers by Miami Vacations
- Hilton Miami Dadeland
If you need to answer the question, “Is Dadeland safe?” All you should know is that Dadeland is considered a safe destination for visitors. While no place is completely free of risk, Dadeland’s crime rates are generally lower than the national average. So you can go ahead and explore the neighborhood and enjoy everything else on offer.